Powered By The Christian Gift

Monday, September 20, 2010

Touch

I used to believe in a boundary of physical touch between males & females. It's not about being open or close minded (refer to dictionary for actual definition of open minded & close minded if you don't get me). I just don't like the idea of touching here & there.

Sometimes a friendship touch between two different gender is very innocent & seriously there is no hidden message in it. & I do agree physical touch plays a role in relationship (GENERAL TERM) bonding. Some may say "C'mon it's nothing!". But I do know of certain individuals who are very sensitive to physical touches. Usually the touches reflects the level of intimacy between the two individuals & I do agree to it, but now I don't think so.

I'm seeing people who don't know each other really well/close but on physical contacts (note: I'm referring to male-female interactions) they appear intimate & close. There's also some who are real close but never made much physical contact. Now my question is this. 

"Is it NECESSARY to touch the opposite gender friend on regular basis (intentionally or unintentionally, innocently or with motives, whatever reason)?"

What I mention regular basis? Because I do acknowledge the significance & power (meaning) of touch in special cases like prayer, affirmation, etc. My "regular basis" simply means when there is no need to do so.

Physical touch seems to be a norm among people nowadays. It's very normal now that "girls" are allowed to touch "guys" but not in reverse. What I mean is when "girls" touch "guys", it's nothing. But when "guys" touch "girls", some may consider it as serious as sexual harassment, or at least "fei lai" or "pok mong". It seems to me that males are to blamed in a way if anything goes wrong. Many may fail to realize that certain individuals are touch-meaning-sensitive.

I used to read & hear people asking, "What is the boundaries of areas or body part that we are allowed to touch"? Some general textbook answer will be nothing below neck & waist. Sounds familiar? This issue of physical boundaries & intimacy is normally raised during courtship counseling or  those who desire to maintain purity before marriage. If some serious-want-to-marry couples take this issue of physical intimacy seriously, why those nothing more than a casual acquaintance behave like "we are bro & sis, yeah"?

Notice the use of girls & guys instead of males & females, & the previous paragraph. Get the point?

Again, 
"What is the boundaries of areas or body part that we are allowed to touch"?

This question sounds very wrong to me. First of all if your conscience & intention is clear enough, why do you need a guideline on this? Trying to find justification where can touch & why to touch?

But all this is significantly influenced by local culture & a person's upbringing. For example some girls are very sensitive & do not welcome a hand on their waist or shoulder, while some consider it nothing. So be careful who do you touch. Some may appear OK, but actually they do not like it. 

Physical touch may be a love language & should stay as real love language. Not some wanna-act-close-and-intimate. If the touch has no love (GENERAL TERM) in it as in closeness and intimacy (GENERAL TERM), it's just some bodily contacts.

No comments: